Claude Le Sauteur, R.C.A. (1926-2007)
Few elements predisposed this man to painting. Claude Le Sauteur was born on October 7, 1926 in Rivière-Pentecôte, Côte-Nord. In love with drawing, Claude Le Sauteur wants to study the fine arts, a choice that his father disapproves of. He has to finance his studies by working in the forest. From 1945 to 1950, he studied at the École des Beaux-Arts in Quebec where he received the teachings of Jean Paul Lemieux and Jean-Philippe Dallaire.
From 1950 to 1980, Claude Le Sauteur works successively in the advertising field, as a freelancer for various magazines (Maclean, Châtelaine, Perspectives, etc.), and in printing (design section).
In parallel with his work, Claude Le Sauteur never stops painting. In 1976, a solo exhibition was presented at the Georges Dor Gallery in Longueuil; all his paintings are sold out in less than half an hour. It was from his retirement in 1980 that he began to create full time. From 1978, he divides his time between his residence in Boucherville and the one in Les Éboulements in Charlevoix, where he finally settled in 1986. Claude Le Sauteur took root in Charlevoix, an important step in his artistic career whose formal and thematic resonance marks his work in a tangible way. The artist seduced the greatest and the most humble one. He was both discreet and recognized. In his depictions of landscapes, scenes and heroes of Quebec, particularly of the Charlevoix region, the colors explode a little, otherwise they soothe.